With British Airways being a member of oneworld, its miles can be used on any oneworld member including American Airlines. With the British Airways award chart being distance-based and the Caribbean not being very far from many US cities, there is great opportunity to get some incredible deals with British Airways miles. Now with US Airways joining oneworld, the opportunities are even better and I thought it was time to write an updated post. You can earn 50,000 Avios by signing up for the British Airways Credit Card from Chase at Creditcards.com. There is also a limited time increased sign-up bonus offer on the Chase Ink Bold Business card for 60,000 bonus miles and these miles can be easily transferred to Avios Executive club.
Tickets to the Caribbean typically cost 17,500 miles each way with many miles program such as American Airlines, US Airways, Delta and United Airlines. But British Airways has a distance based award chart and we can fly to the Caribbean for much fewer miles, even on American Airlines flights. A flight from Miami to Grand Cayman, for example, is only 4,500 miles each way. A flight from New York to Cancun, St. Maarten or to Antigua is only 10,000 miles each way. For that reason, it pays to learn how to use British Airways miles to the Caribbean to make sure we’re getting the best deal!
American Airlines flies to just about any island you can think of. Check out my article about using British Airways miles on American Airlines flights to save miles, but specifically using them to fly to the Caribbean deserves a post of its own.
The Cost of Caribbean Trips on British Airways
Although they can be very short for those of us on the east coast, flights to the Caribbean tend to be relatively expensive in terms of miles. American Airlines and US Airways will both charge 17,500 miles each way during peak season. The off-peak is a bit better at 12,500, but we can often do better from the right cities. American Airlines and US Airways both charge based on regions and the fact that some of us may be flying short one-segment flights to get there does not help at all.
With British Airways Executive Club Avios, it’s completely different. British Airways has a distance-based award chart where we pay for each segment separately. If your flight is under 650 miles, for example, you pay just 4,500 British Airways miles. The benefit is that we can actually redeem our British Airways miles on American Airlines and US Airways, both airlines with super extensive Caribbean networks.
British Airways Award Chart
How British Airways miles work:
- Your miles cost does not depend on your destination, but on how long your individual segments are. You get charged based on the length per segment according to the above chart.
- Miles can be used on British Airways partners, such as American Airlines or Alaska Airlines or US Airways.
- Flying within North America will not incur fuel surcharges (unlike trips to Europe, for example).
You probably won’t want to use British Airways miles if you’re flying from New York to Mumbai with several connections along the way, but for short hops, they’re great!
Let’s take a few examples:
- Miami to Grand Cayman is a 453 mile flight. It will cost 4,500 miles.
- Atlanta to Miami is a 595 mile flight. It will cost 4,500 miles. ATL-MIA-GCM will cost 9,000 miles each way.
- NYC to Miami is a 1100 mile flight. It will cost 7,500 miles. NYC-MIA-GCM will cost 12,000 miles each way.
- NYC to St. Maarten is a 1693 mile flight. It will cost 10,000 miles each way.
- Charlotte to Grand Cayman is a 1093 mile flight. It will cost 7,500 miles.
You can always check the distances between destinations either with the Great Circle Mapper or calculate the number of British Airways miles you need with the British Airways Award Calculator.
Miami (on American Airlines)
- 4,500 Avios: Nassau, Freeport, Marsh Harbor or George Town, Bahamas; Montego Bay or Kingston, Jamaica; Cancun or Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman Island, Turks and Caicois,
- 7,500 Avios: Port au Prince, Haiti; San Juan, PR; St. Thomas or St. Croix, U.S.V.I; Aruba; Bermuda; Santiago, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, La Romana or Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
- 10,000 Avios: St. Maarten; St. Kitts; Antigua; St. Lucia; Barbados; Curacao; Trinidad; Martinique; Grenada.
New York (on American Airlines)
- 7,500 Avios: Bermuda.
- 10,000 Avios: Cancun; Sint Maarten; San Juan, PR; Antigua; Haiti; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I; Antigua;
Washington DC (on US Airways)
- 7,500 Avios: Nassau, Bahamas; Bermuda
Philadelphia (on US Airways)
- 7,500 Avios: Freeport, Bahamas; Nassau, Bahamas; Bermuda.
- 10,000 Avios: Turks and Caicos; Grand Cayman; San Juan, PR; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., St. Maarten; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Aruba
Charlotte (on US Airways)
- 4,500 Avios: Freeport, Bahamas. 7,500 Avios: Nassau, Bahamas; Bermuda; Turks and Caicos; Grand Cayman. 10,000 Avios: San Juan, PR; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., St. Maarten; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Aruba; Punta Cana, DR; St.Kitts; St. Lucia; Antigua; 12,500 Avios: Barbados
Dallas (on American Airlines)
- 7,500 Avios: Cancun or Cozumel, Mexico
- 10,000 Avios: Montego Bay, Jamaica
- 12,500 Avios: San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Chicago (on US Airways)
- 12,500 Avios: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Cancun, Mexico.
How to easily earn British Airways Avios?
These are one of the easiest miles to earn can earn 50,000 Avios by signing up for the British Airways Credit Card from Chase at Creditcards.com. There is also a limited time increased sign-up bonus offer on the Chase Ink Bold Business card for 60,000 bonus miles and these miles can be easily transferred to Avios Executive club.
To book flights on American Airlines with British Airways Executive Club Avios, you will want to read my tutorial:
Now that we know how much trips to the Caribbean should cost with British Airways Avios, we are ready to start making plans. But while low miles costs are great in theory, none of this matters if you can’t find award availability. The good news is we won’t have to check space to every island to find our award flights to the Caribbean.
Read my upcoming article in the next few weeks on searching American Airlines Caribbean Award Space to Every Island!!